Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Semantics of BDSM vs. Kink

I recently had the pleasure of dinner with someone who had traveled from another state to give a presentation at my local dungeon. Over dinner, we discussed his leadership work with his local Next Generation group. (For those who don't know, "The Next Generation" or "TNG" is a common name for BDSM-centered social groups for younger adults, usually age 18-35. There is no central TNG leadership as far as I'm aware, but there are TNG's in many cities throughout the U.S.) One of the changes he's been trying to make in his local TNG, he explained, was semantic. Instead of using the acronym "BDSM," (Bondage/Discipline, Dominance/Submission, Sadism/Masochism), he refers to the groups' members exclusively as "kinky." Instead of "munches," they have "meet and greets."

"What's the difference?" asked everyone at our dinner table after the dungeon presentation.

"Oh, there's no difference at all, really. But for some reason, it seems to scare people less. When I tell people that I'm into BDSM, I get all the scared looks. But if I say I'm a little kinky, people are more likely to smirk or find it hot. It's more 'naughty' and less scary. Even if I'm doing the exact same things."

Which launched a conversation on whether or not we should be obligated to worry about scaring people outside the community. If we really cared what mainstream society thought of us, we probably wouldn't have met in our local dungeon in the first place. Regardless of vocabulary, openly embracing alternative sexuality requires a certain amount of ability to ignore judgment of others.

"But," he argued, "it's really not for vanilla people. I mean, greater acceptance is a perk, but I think de-mystifying is more important to people who are kinky but are still scared to admit it. If changing the semantics makes them feel more comfortable about joining us, then that's great."

Which brings back my clear memories of worrying that kinky desire made me a bad feminist, and/or crazy, and/or unlovable, and how those worries decimated my self-esteem in college. I can't say now if I might have read and absorbed SM 101 earlier if it had been called "Kink 101." (To maintain my honest disclosures, I still haven't read SM 101.) But I can't begrudge anything that might help nervous, newbie kinksters feel less freakish than I did.

At the same time, though, I fought hard for my acceptance of BDSM and for the courage to start going to munches. So I have an instinctual resentment to any implication that I ought to be more considerate of people who still think my lifestyle is scary. I know that it isn't. Most of my first munch revolved around a game of Scrabble. The first time I saw other people having sex in front of me (at my first BDSM party), I was eating brownies on the other side of the room, and the couple people I knew there were eating brownies with me and quoting Monty Python. I keep a public blog about my scary, scary sexuality now, and yet (alas) I still spend more hours per week in my fluorescent-lit office cubicle with bad coffee than I do actually having kinky sex. I don't feel even a little bit scary, and caring what other people think is exhausting.

So I'm unlikely to entirely drop the words "BDSM" or "munch" from my vocabulary. I use "kink" and "meet and greet" interchangeably with them, because they mean the same thing. But I can't help but wonder whether or not changing such semantics really would work for changing minds, or how one would even find closeted kinksters to ask them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Annabelle! I'm loving your blog...

    I always wonder whether people in the scene are actually concerned with making BDSM more acceptable, or if deep-down they fear their sexual proclivities being "gentrified." It seems like part of the appeal is that BDSM IS out of the mainstream, which seems to undermine the movement's call for acceptance.

    My question to you is, would you rather BDSM be more accepted? Or is part of its appeal for you that you get to revel in being "weird?" If all of a sudden you woke up tomorrow and everyone in the world were totally OK with kink, would you be happy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, apparently Blogger doesn't tell me when I get comments, and I'll have to fix that. Sorry.

    I've actually heard kinky people argue both sides of the acceptability/gentrification issue, but honestly, yes, I would much rather live in a world where kink was totally acceptable. As things are now, most of my friends do know and accept, so my own feelings of being "naughty" or "exotic" wore off a couple years ago. And six years ago I didn't just feel "weird"; I felt like I had serious psychological problems that made me ultimately unlovable. I'm over it, but it wasn't fun.

    I don't feel persecuted, because the people in my life now either know and don't care or don't know because it's none of their business. But the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom keeps a blog the pragmatic consequences of discrimination: http://ncsf.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. BDSM
    Rope Bondage
    London Dominatrix


    Well I guess I have too come up with something kinky then I guess we can talk in are next session.Must say the activities must have great fun for this..Thanks for sharing with us..

    ReplyDelete